Diversity & Community
Diversity Recruitment & Outreach
Winstead actively recruits diverse candidates as part of our overall firm recruiting program.
We are signatories to two Texas diversity initiatives – the Statement of Goals of Dallas Law Firms and Corporate Legal Departments for Increasing Minority Hiring, Retention and Promotion and the Houston Bar Association's 2005 Gender Initiative Commitment Statement.
Winstead recruits minority lawyers laterally and includes minority attorneys in our recruiting programs. We participate on career panels at schools, reach out to leadership and members of minority bar associations and student organizations and create internal firm affinity groups that support succession planning with an emphasis on diversity.
Our participation includes the following recruitment activities and outreach:
- Southeastern Minority Job Fair and Sunbelt Minority Job Fair
- Sponsorship of minority student organizations events, such as the Thurgood Marshall Legal Society Banquet, UT Women’s Law Caucus Golf Tournament and the UT Chicano/ Hispanic Law Students’ Association Cultural Celebration
- Sponsorship of minority student career development events, such as Career Night held by the Dallas Asian American Bar Association and Dallas Hispanic Bar Association "Lighting of the Path to Education" Dinner Reception
- Dallas Bar Association Minority Clerkship Luncheon and Houston Bar Association's Summer Associate Luncheon
- Smallwood Keller and Lewis Diversity Career Fair
- Development of a new Law School Diversity Outreach and Scholarship Program
- Sponsorship of initiative at the University of Houston Law Center to prepare more minority students for eligibility for law review
Winstead’s Diversity Organizational Support
Because diversity requires not just ideas but action and support, Winstead has actively participated in and currently sponsors a number of key organizations and events including:
- Jackie Robinson Foundation Scholarship Program Co-sponsor
- Texas Minority Counsel Program
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Black Law Students Association
- Thurgood Marshall Legal Society
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Texas Diversity Council Symposiums
- Anti-Defamation League seminars and award luncheon