Intellectual Property Protection
Winstead counsels the developers, both inside and outside the United States, on new technologies in implementing applications for alternative energy on a commercial scale.
Our work in patent protections, trademark, licensing, and portfolio development and enforcement is part of our continuum in IP counseling and representation that is available to all of our clients.
As demands for advances in clean technology and renewable energy expand, Winstead is guiding the pioneers meeting the challenge with respect to patent protections, trademark, licensing and portfolio development. Our clients include some of the nation’s preeminent research and educational institutions, entrepreneurs and individual inventors and developers.
The work of our clients in nanotechnology, chemistry and the physical sciences is being developed and commercialized across a diverse range of alternative energy applications. These include photovoltaic cells, wind turbine components, energy storage, transmission grid infrastructures, and uses of biodiesel, tidal and hydroelectricity power.
Intellectual property representative matters include:
- High-Efficiency Thermoelectric Devices – Advised on strategic IP patent portfolio development, in connection with firm-wide representation, for a startup involved in the research, development and production of the next generation of thermoelectric (TE) devices. The El Paso company’s proprietary approach for the construction of TE elements exhibits an enhanced conversion of thermal energy into electrical energy.
- Clean Tech/Water Treatment Patent Protection – Provide patent counsel to green tech company focused on noninvasive, organic treatment of industrial wastewater derived from drilling oil and recycled into potable and irrigation-ready water.
- Battery Storage – Counsel on IP and licensing matters to university-based startup developing long-lasting, reliable power sources using novel applications of nano-scale porous silicon.
- Clean Tech Services – Advise and counsel providers of engineering, research and development services to the clean tech industry on patented technologies.
- Chemical Separation Applications – Provide strategic IP counsel to a privately held Texas corporation developing and commercializing advanced separation-based technologies for the petroleum, petrochemical, chemical, electric power and environmental markets, with a focus on cleaner and more efficient energy sources.
- Biodiesel Facility – Serve as trademark counsel and conduct due diligence for several biodiesel facilities operated by a leading renewable energy company for the residential and light commercial markets.
- Syngas – Draft and protect patents and litigate trade secret disputes for company utilizing low cost hydrocarbons, such as biomass, coal, and waste products, in an environmentally friendly process to produce low cost energy—electricity, steam, hydrogen, methane, transportation fuels and chemical feedstocks.
- Licensee Counsel – Providing counsel and patent prosecution for a publicly traded university licensee developer of a new thin-film growth process with the potential to reduce silicon usage in solar cell manufacturing by over 60% promising mass manufacturing of tandem solar cells with twice the efficiency of today.
Many of our IP attorneys have related scientific training and degrees and are able to bring technical, industry-specific knowledge to bear in building clients’ patent portfolio and assisting them to implement and commercialize new clean technologies on a viable scale.
Public and Regulatory Law
Intellectual Property Protection
Real Estate, Environment, Tax and Commercial Transations, and Litigation
Back to Alternative Energy