Winstead attorneys structure and advise on both the initial financing and on subsequent restructuring of major innovative alternative energy projects around the nation.
Whether protecting our clients’ interests during market consolidation or helping their competitive entry into the marketplace, Winstead attorneys’ extensive energy finance experience provides a solid foundation for the choices clients must make along the way.
Our clients include developers, lenders, investors, buyers and sellers in project development and asset and stock transactions across a range of resources. These include biofuels, solar, electricity, oil and gas. We have counseled major agricultural banks and asset-based lenders in a range of complex financings.
Project finance representative matters include:
- 4,000 MW Balanced Fuel Project – Negotiated the public-private partnership development agreement on behalf of the private investment company for a 4,000 MW renewable and fossil-fired electric power facility and construction of high capacity transmission lines to deliver the power to market. Also choice of entity and entity formation counsel for equity holders.
The West Texas project, considered a national exemplar and with a forecasted $8 billion total investment, involves a balanced energy portfolio comprised of wind and solar energy, a biomass plant, natural gas-fired peaking units and base-load coal plants.
Winstead’s multidisciplinary counsel in structuring, negotiating and drafting the agreement included lawyers from our Public & Regulatory Practice Group, Corporate and Securities, Public Finance and Litigation practices.
Our ongoing counsel includes helping the client plan and negotiate all of the engineering, construction, finance, procurement and related agreements necessary to bring this massive infrastructure project to operation.
- Complex Biodiesel Facility – Successfully negotiated financing for $110 million project involving a new biodiesel fuel facility attached to an existing wood mill. This complex project financing in a mid-western state involved issuance of pollution control bonds, various equity participants and numerous collateral issues.
- Renewables Financings – Representing finance clients on construction and term loan deals, workouts and restructurings involving wind, biodiesel and ethanol projects across the nation.
- Add-On Facilities – Counsel to lenders in various biodiesel facilities associated with existing large oil and gas terminals/refineries and various agricultural product processing facilities.
- Air Force Clean Energy Program – Represent investment firm advising the military’s renewable energy program.
To assure all our clients’ needs are protected, Winstead uses extensive firm-wide resources in Environmental & Energy, Real Estate Development & Investments, Corporate and Securities, Business Restructure/Bankruptcy, Public & Regulatory, Intellectual Property and Construction law.
Public and Regulatory Law
Intellectual Property Protection
Real Estate, Environment, Tax and Commercial Transations, and Litigation
Back to Alternative Energy