David Ammons has extensive experience handling a wide range of complex business litigation matters. A significant portion of his practice is devoted to representing oil and gas producers, gas marketing companies, gas pipeline companies, and natural gas liquids processing companies. David has appeared in state and federal trial and appellate courts throughout the country. He also handles regulatory oil and gas issues involving the Railroad Commission of Texas.
David is board certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. One percent (1%) of Texas attorneys are Board Certified Specialists in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law.
In addition to his energy litigation practice, David has handled a variety of other complex commercial disputes, including fiduciary litigation, environmental and toxic tort litigation, and financial litigation.
- Defended a publicly traded exploration and production company in the defense of a number of proposed class action cases alleging underpayment of royalties on gas and natural gas liquids production. Defeated class certification.
- Defended a publicly traded exploration and production company against claims brought under the False Claims Act alleging underpayment of royalties on crude oil extracted from federal and Indian lands.
- Defended a publicly traded exploration and production company against allegations that it participated in an industry-wide antitrust conspiracy relating to lease bonuses and royalties. Secured dismissal of all claims.
- Defended a publicly traded exploration and production company in litigation concerning the enforceability of a lease option agreement and other related agreements impacting acreage throughout the country. Prevailed on summary judgment.
- Represented a publicly traded midstream company in connection with breaches of numerous offshore gas gathering agreements, including pursuing federal administrative remedies.
- Defended officers and directors of an independent exploration and production company against claims of operational mismanagement relating to two emerging shale plays. Resolved on confidential terms.
- Represented an independent oil and gas company in a dispute concerning title to leases and wells in the Permian basin and associated unlawful drainage.
- Represented an independent oil and gas company in a cotenant accounting dispute concerning leases and wells in the Barnett Shale.
- Represented a foreign government in cross-border environmental and toxic tort litigation relating to copper and gold mining.
- Represented Joint Official Liquidators for companies in the Cayman Islands in federal multi-district litigation relating to the collapse of Parmalat, the Italian international food conglomerate.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer in litigation concerning patent infringement.
- Represented a bankruptcy trustee in litigation relating to the insolvency of a nationwide homebuilder.