Greta Cowart is known for fixing complex employee benefit plan issues, including many issues under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (health reform), and has secured significant results in Internal Revenue Service employee plans team audits and in U.S. Department of Labor audits of employee benefit plans.
Practicing for 28 years, Greta has resolved significant employee benefit compliance issues through the various voluntary compliance programs. Through her work on the Employee Benefits Committee of the American Bar Association, Section of Taxation, she has worked with the technical provisions governing retirement plans and executive compensation. Greta has also worked extensively with Code section 409A and the regulations under such section governing nonqualified deferred compensation, and other employee benefits issues in depth and provided recommendations to the government for its use in rule making. A former Chair of the Employee Benefits Committee of the American Bar Association's Section of Taxation, Greta's extensive knowledge of employee benefits and executive compensation provides her with the background to assist corporations quickly with plan design and administration issues, including litigation of benefit disputes.
Greta has extensive experience representing plan sponsors, plan administrators and benefit appeal committees including:
- Representing health care system in an Internal Revenue Service team audit of all of its retirement, welfare, fringe benefit and executive plans.
- Representing state school system in Internal Revenue Service audit of its 403(b) and 457 plans.
- Representing numerous clients before the Internal Revenue Service in correcting qualification issues in a number of qualified retirement plans under the Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System.
- Representing clients before the Internal Revenue Service to correct violations in 401(k), defined benefit and other qualified retirement plans, and 403(b) plans and to fix complex qualified plan issues.
- Representing numerous clients successfully through U.S. Department of Labor audits of their 401(k), ESOPs, welfare benefit plans and other employee benefit plans.
- Representing clients in outsourcing of benefits.
- Assisting clients with reversing outsourcing of benefits administration.
- Obtaining private letter rulings resolving difficult defined benefit plan issues.
- Representing clients in connection with collective bargaining grievances related to benefits and other related issues.
- Representing corporations on merger strategy and benefit integration negotiation teams.
- Counseling employers regarding health care reform and structuring staffing to prepare for the pay or play penalty tax.
- Represents retirement plan service providers during U.S. Department of Labor audits.
- Counseled hospitality industry client in corporate restructuring and $1.1 billion refinancing.
- Working with corporations analyzing their nonqualified deferred compensation issues under Code section 409A and proposing alternate designs.
- Analyzing extensive health plan issues under health reform, COBRA, HIPAA portability, GINA, Michelle’s Law, ADA, HIPAA privacy, HITECH and other laws.
- Providing expert opinion to plan administrator in contested appeal of health plan benefit denial.
- Assisting corporations and managed care organizations regarding legal operating issues related to employee benefit plans.
- Counseling clients with collectively bargained workforces regarding benefits issues considering collateral implications under collective bargaining agreements.