Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Oil, Gas, and Mineral Law, Jon Ray is experienced in assisting clients who have responsibility for the acquisition, management and disposition of mineral resources and is highly regarded by clients and colleagues for the results he achieves. Jon has assisted clients in all aspects of exploration programs, including lease acquisition, the title process, prospect development, regulatory and contract compliance, and litigation management. Jon also has an extensive background in representing operators and producers in exploration programs, sales and acquisitions, financings and hydrocarbons marketing, with significant involvement in shale and unconventional resource plays.
In addition, he has significant experience in negotiating and preparing exploration and participation agreements, farmins and farmouts, joint operating agreements and related trade and industry contracts, as well as financing arrangements and purchase and sale transactions. Clients frequently seek Jon’s assistance for his knowledge of their businesses, ability to provide innovative legal solutions, and prompt accessibility for consultation regarding their daily operational issues.
- Representation of buyers and sellers in the purchase and sale of producing and non-producing oil and gas and mining assets
- Shale plays and unconventional resource development
- Representation of operators and investors in participation and exploration agreements, options, operating agreements, crude oil and natural gas sales, processing and transportation agreements, farmins and farmouts, areas of mutual interest, pooling agreements, unit declarations, seismic contracts, saltwater disposal agreements, facilities and platform sharing arrangements, master service agreements and drilling contracts
- Representation of lenders and borrowers in energy credit facilities involving conventional and borrowing base loans, mezzanine financing, net profits and production payment structures, derivatives and currency indices
- Saltwater disposal transactions and agreements
- Drafting and negotiation of oil and gas leases, seismic agreements, easements, assignments, mineral and royalty transfers and surface use contracts for producers and mineral owners
- Litigation involving lease termination claims, bad faith pooling, deed and contract interpretation, drainage and development covenants, surface damages, royalty accounting and lease payments
- Insolvency and workouts involving energy debt; substantive energy law advice and secured claims assessment for oil and gas bankruptcy debtors and creditors
- Title examinations, drafting of curative documents, interpretation of mineral conveyances and title litigation, including expert testimony
- Hunting and agricultural leases
- Custom (non-form) industry trade agreements