Kara Grimes is a shareholder in Winstead's Commercial Litigation and Real Estate Litigation Practice Groups. She represents plaintiffs and defendants in commercial and business disputes across a wide array of industries, including financial services litigation, real estate litigation, business tort litigation, insurance litigation and trust litigation.
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Represent companies and individuals, on both sides of the docket, in commercial and business disputes involving a variety of contract and tort claims, including breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, negligence, conspiracy, conversion, and other legal theories.
- Real Estate Litigation
- Represent financial institutions in connection with all aspects of loan enforcement and collection, including suits on notes, suits on guaranties, suits on appraisals, foreclosures, and various other contract and tort claims. Represent landlords and tenants in litigation involving breach of lease, evictions, and other legal theories.
Some examples of Kara's commercial litigation and real estate litigation experience include:
- Obtained multi-million dollar summary judgment in favor of lender on claims enforcing guaranties of a promissory note. Also obtained dismissal of guarantors' defenses of fraud, duress, illegality, failure to mitigate, and other defenses through summary judgment in favor of lender.
- Defended bank and bank officer in trust litigation involving allegations of breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, misapplication of fiduciary property, negligence, conversion, and other legal theories. Reached a non-monetary settlement of case on terms favorable to clients.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of property owner on claim arising out of denial of insurance coverage for property damage.
- Defended lender against claims under the DTPA and other legal theories involving the property at issue and obtained dismissal of all claims, allowing the lender to proceed with foreclosure of the property.