Marcus is a business-oriented attorney with over a decade of experience in offering practical solutions to multi-national, national, and small businesses facing complex employment and labor law issues. Marcus works directly with in-house legal departments and human resources managers to develop effective strategies for maintaining positive and productive employee relations; compliance with a wide array of federal, state, and local employment laws; and litigation prevention. Marcus’s approach involves more than just a basic recitation and application of the law. Rather, his approach incorporates a focus on the client’s business needs and culture in order to develop a solution that is not only in compliance with the law, but also advances the client’s corporate objectives.
In the unfortunate event that litigation arises, Marcus has extensive experience developing realistic case assessments and cost-effective litigation and pre-litigation strategies on a variety of matters, including anti-discrimination and anti-retaliation claims, wage and hour issues, protection of trade secrets and confidential information, covenants not to compete, and breach of employment agreements. Marcus has successfully litigated a significant number of claims brought before federal and state courts, arbitrators, and administrative agencies.
Marcus is Board Certified in Labor and Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Co-author of The People Business Blog, which provides news and strategies for business leaders who manage legal matters involving labor, employment, and benefits issues.
- Defends single and multi-plaintiff discrimination claims
- Defends individual claims and collective actions under the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Advising clients on compliance with the Family and Medical Leave Act and other state laws regarding employee leave
- Counseling clients regarding termination decisions, wage and hour issues, and other personnel matters
- Drafting and reviewing employment agreements, severance agreements, and non-compete and non-solicitation agreements
- Prosecuting and defending claims regarding the enforcement of non-competition, non-solicitation and non-disclosure agreements
- Prepares and reviews employment policies and handbooks
- Conducts anti-discrimination and anti-harassment training programs
- Prosecutes and defends unfair labor practice charges, including seeking injunctive relief against unions