Mike Baggett is a highly respected leader in the Texas legal and business communities. He has successfully argued six published opinions of the Texas Supreme Court and has tried over 50 commercial cases at the trial level. Mike is a well-known author and lecturer before judicial conferences, bar associations, law schools, trade and industry groups. Representative examples of over 100 events include: Texas Judicial Conference; American Bar Association; State Bars of Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas and Florida; University of Texas, Baylor, SMU, Texas Tech and Houston Law Schools; Texas Association of Bank Counsel; Texas General Counsel Forum; Texas Center for Legal Ethics and Professionalism; Banking Law Institute; and American College of Mortgage Attorneys. His legal publications have also been cited as authority by 12 appellate courts.
Mike served as Winstead's Chairman and CEO from 1992 to 2006 and Chairman Emeritus from 2006 to present. Under his leadership, Winstead grew from an established Texas law firm into a top-tier regional law firm with offices in the major commercial and financial markets throughout Texas and Washington, D.C.
Mike is also the author of three highly regarded and widely used legal books - Texas Foreclosure: Law and Practice (Texas Practice Series, Vol. 15), (Shepard's/McGraw-Hill, 1984; Thomson/West Group, 2nd Edition, 2001); Co-Author, Professor Norton and Baggett, Lender Liability Law and Litigation (Matthew Bender, 1989) and Texas Practice Guide, Real Estate Litigation (West Group 2002).
- Complex litigation and workout matters, with representation on both sides of the docket
- General Counsel and Former Chairman, Cotton Bowl Athletic Association
- Lead counsel for Texas's largest banking industry group, Texas Bankers Association, in its declaratory judgment holding that Texas banks may sell annuities
- Representation of D/FW International Airport in connection with its $2.5 billion expansion
- Lead counsel for an insured chemical company which recovered fees for property damage, business interruption and bad faith handling of the claim
- Reversal of judgments on appeal in excess of $56 million and setting aside of trial court judgments in excess of $220 million
- Represented Chairman of the FDIC in connection with appeal of judgment in excess of $70 million against the FDIC
- Lead counsel for trustee accused of breach of fiduciary duty and improper management and division of assets of estate in excess of $600 million—settled favorably
- Expert witness in litigation claiming damages in excess of $200 million—resolved favorably
- Corporate counsel for Bush Clinton Katrina Fund
- Represented Comerica Bank in the move of its headquarters from Detroit to Dallas, the largest move of a headquarter bank in the history of the United States
- Represented Texas A&M in its move to the SEC
- Expert witness in litigation seeking recovery for wrongful taking of three hospitals—favorable jury verdict of $118 million
- Expert witness in federal court litigation claiming damages in excess of $60 million for wrongful disposition of 10 drilling rigs and related equipment—favorable court finding that disposition was commercially reasonable