Stephen Taylor is a member of Winstead’s Commercial Litigation Practice Group. He represents companies and business owners in a variety of complex commercial litigation. Stephen also has experience representing oil and gas producers and gas pipeline companies in disputes involving royalty payments, surface damages, and title issues, as well as public utilities and common carriers in eminent domain matters. He has tried multiple cases to jury verdicts and has appeared in hearings before arbitration panels.
Stephen’s business litigation experience includes disputes stemming from corporate and partnership dissolution, misappropriation of trade secret information, trademark and copyright infringement, breach of fiduciary duties, shareholder oppression, antitrust and trade regulation, and commercial contracts.
- Defended construction manager against $4 million claim asserted by owner for alleged delays and overages related to construction of dual-branded hotel and conference center; after favorable pre-trial rulings, secured high six-figure settlement payment to construction manager.
- Defended software developer in lawsuit claiming breaches of partnership separation agreement; through discovery uncovered theft of client’s intellectual property, which led to a favorable settlement.
- Represented four related oil and gas companies in lawsuit against former CPA firm for malpractice; obtained six-figure settlement for clients.
- Represented international software developer in dispute with PC manufacturer over software licensing agreements and indemnity obligations arising from patent infringement; resulted in favorable settlement after court denied PC manufacturer’s motion to dismiss.
- Representing a locally owned software developer, secured temporary restraining order and injunction preventing competitor from theft of trade secrets and an order requiring return of client’s intellectual property.
- As first chair lawyer, obtained a jury verdict against a well-known roofing company for deceptive practices and breach of implied warranties.
- Awarded summary judgment in lawsuit defending company against promoter seeking interest in company.
- Represented international design firm in Nevada State Court lawsuit claiming design defects at a large-scale residential construction project; obtained favorable pre-trial rulings that resulted in positive settlement for client.
- Defended a regional financial and consulting firm against allegations that non-compete and non-solicitation agreements were violated; resulted in walk-away settlement with withdrawal of all claims against client.
- Represented engineering and design firm in a state court lawsuit and two concurrently filed arbitrations for recovery of delay damages and other economic damages arising from commercial construction project; obtained partial dismissal, which resulted in favorable settlement for client.
- Representing workforce housing developer, defeated competitor’s attempted injunction to prohibit client from conducting business and attempted sequestration of client's assets based upon claims of breach of fiduciary duties and theft of trade secrets; resulted in walk-away settlement after denial of injunction and writ of sequestration.
- Represented engineering and design firm in lawsuit over construction of Reliant Stadium and claiming over $20 million in damages.
- Representing a natural gas provider at an injunction hearing, obtained order denying landowners’ attempt to enjoin a large-scale pipeline construction project.