William Bell has more than 25 years of experience in international taxation. He focuses primarily on U.S.-owned businesses with foreign operations, and on international businesses which have a combination of U.S. and foreign owners. Bill has represented domestic and foreign parties in joint ventures in Asia (including China and India), Latin America (including Mexico and Brazil), Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.
In the technology sector, Bill represents companies and entrepreneurs in industries such as computer software, e-commerce, control systems and medical devices. Having practiced in Houston for the first 20 years of his career, Bill has extensive experience in the energy sector, including representation of companies engaged in exploration and production, transportation, and manufacturing, as well as companies providing energy services including seismic, engineering and contract drilling. He has extensive experience structuring international operations of trading and distribution companies both within and outside the energy sector.
- Coordination of foreign and U.S. income tax considerations, with a view to lowering the client's worldwide effective tax rate
- Use of offshore corporations by U.S. taxpayers in appropriate circumstances in order to achieve deferral of U.S. income taxation and, where possible, a lowering of the ultimate tax burden
- Choice of optimal jurisdiction for foreign holding companies
- Representation of taxpayers before the IRS, Tax Court, Court of Claims and U.S. District Court
- Coordination of income tax and estate tax planning for high net worth individuals
- Drafting of partnership agreements and other documents
- Structuring of mergers and acquisitions