J. Kenneth Kopf
|Shareholder; Chair, Sports Business & Public Venues Industry Group|
500 Winstead Building
2728 N. Harwood Street
Dallas, Texas 75201
Ken Kopf is a member of Winstead's Real Estate Development & Investments Practice Group and is chairman of Winstead's Sports Business & Public Venues Industry Group. He is also involved in the leadership of the firm's real estate section's continuing legal education and legal training activities.
Ken is a detail-oriented lawyer whose lengthy experience in the real estate practice enables him to assist his clients in achieving their business and legal objectives in a thorough, efficient and timely manner. Ken's clients appreciate that he is readily accessible and always interested in achieving the best possible results for his clients.
- General: Represents landlords and tenants, buyers and sellers, brokers and leasing agents, and lenders and developers of commercial real estate, both regionally and nationally.
- Leasing: Assists landlords and tenants in office, industrial and retail transactions, including mall, shopping center and strip center projects, as well as stadium, area and other sports and venue projects, including work with lease preparation and negotiations, lease workouts, evictions and other enforcement actions, management and leasing matters, and various other and related areas of the leasing practice; represents national and regional restaurant operators, retail companies and banks and other space users; and represents landlords/developers in leasing of office space in Class A, central business district buildings, suburban office buildings and projects, major retail shopping centers and downtown/main street retail projects.
- Acquisition and Development: Aids developers in various stages of development, including acquisition and sales, financing, restrictive covenant agreements and other title, land use and development matters, construction matters, zoning matters and loan originations and workouts, including development in mixed-use, multifamily, single-family, condominium, office, retail and other commercial developments, as well as nonprofit housing finance organizations.
- Sports Business/Public Venues: Ken is currently chairman of the Sports Business & Public Venues Industry Group of the firm. Ken's participation in this group includes a broad-based sports practice representing governmental authorities, sports teams and owners, lenders and insurers in a variety of transactions relating to the development, leasing, management, financing and related services with respect to sports and other public entertainment and recreational facilities. Representative transactions include representation in respect to various aspects of the development and/or financing of the AT&T (Dallas Cowboys) Stadium in Arlington, Texas, the Yankees Stadium in New York, the MetLIfe (Jets/Giants) Stadium in New York, the new Falcons Stadium in Atlanta, the refurbished Tom Hortons Field in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada (formerly known as Ivor Wynne Stadium), and the Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas (formerly known as the Compaq Center), as well as work for such franchises as the Dallas Cowboys, Tacoma Raniers and Texas Tornado. The Sports Business & Public Venues Industry Group of Winstead includes a unique team of lawyers with experience in various aspects of the sports business, including project finance, real estate development, public law, intellectual property and licensing for a variety of sports and entertainment facilities and projects. See sports profile.
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
|Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law|
|University of Texas at Austin|
- with high honors
- Phi Beta Kappa
Professional & Community Involvement
- State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association
- Greenhill School, Dallas (Leadership Council)
- Temple Emanu-El of Dallas
- Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2005, 2007-2014
- Commercial Real Estate Purchase and Sale Agreements
- Top Ten Issues in Retail and Office Leasing
- A Detailed Examination of SNDA's and Estoppel Certificates
- The Flexible Lease
- Lease Exit Strategies
- Advanced Strategies for Negotiating a Lease
- The Art and Ethics of Negotiation
- Administering the Lease After Execution
- Letters of Intent