Amparo Guerra is a former judge and an advocate with abundant trial experience. She represents and advises clients in employment matters (including ERISA), complex business and commercial, oil and gas, energy, real estate, and consumer litigation, as well as insurance coverage and bad faith, mass tort, and civil rights cases.
Directly following law school, Amparo served as a law clerk for the late U.S. District Court Judge Filemon Vela in Brownsville, Texas. In 2005, Amparo was nominated by former Houston Mayor Bill White and confirmed by Houston City Council as an Associate Municipal Judge for the City of Houston. During her tenure from 2005 through 2010, she was the youngest sitting judge on the Houston Municipal Court.
- Represents employers in employment-related litigation, including ERISA claims, and allegations of discrimination based on age, disability, race, and national origin
- Handled appeal to U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals after obtaining complete summary judgment in Houston federal district court on the eve of trial as lead counsel for international publicly-traded oil and gas company sued for claims of race discrimination and retaliation under 42 U.S.C. §1981
- Prepared and argued as lead counsel Motions to Dismiss granted at Initial Pretrial and Scheduling Conference of former employee’s and beneficiary’s ERISA lawsuit against claims fiduciary, global publicly traded oil and gas company employer/Plan sponsor, and employee benefit Plan for reimbursement of inpatient mental healthcare costs
- Obtained summary judgment for client in former employee’s lawsuit for recovery of commissions and breach of contract.
- Experience obtaining temporary restraining orders and temporary and permanent injunctions for employers against former employees for breach of non-compete and non-disclosure agreements, and for misappropriation of trade secrets
- Prepared and argued motion to lift automatic stay in Houston U.S. Bankruptcy Court to allow client’s state court misappropriation, tortious interference, and breach of contract lawsuit to proceed.
Complex Business Litigation
- Defeated plaintiffs’ DTPA and breach of contract claims, prosecuted breach of contract counterclaim, and obtained judgment for client, including attorney’s fees, after full trial; prepared appellate briefing resulting in affirmance of judgment for client at court of appeals and Texas Supreme Court.
- Obtained partial summary judgment for life insurance company against claims for breach of contract, fraud, misrepresentation, and violations of Insurance Code and DTPA.
- Represented medical billing software company against million dollar claims by hospital system; lawsuit resulted in favorable settlement for client.
- Obtained summary judgments and dismissals of several civil rights lawsuits against national correctional facilities corporation in various federal district courts in Texas.
- Represented oil and gas corporation in maritime wrongful death and other personal injury matters; analyzed and advised client on complex defense and indemnity issues concerning whether drilling apparatus was considered a vessel and whether OCSLA applied, resulting in tender of indemnity by contractor.
- Assisted with post-trial briefing and prepared objections to bill of costs, all of which court sustained, reducing taxable costs from $85k to $2k in $5M federal securities fraud lawsuit.
- Drafted portion of motion to dismiss, which was basis for court’s order granting dismissal of Robinson-Patman Act claim, in federal court lawsuit regarding oil and gas concession in the Timor Gap.
- Service as Guardian ad litem.