Bart Biggers is the chair of both the Corporate, Commercial Transactions & Outsourcing Practice Group and Transportation Industry Group at Winstead. For almost two decades, he has established a practice that fulfills most all corporate and commercial transactional needs of his clients, including supply chain management, technology, business process outsourcing agreements, cross border transactions, mergers and acquisitions, workouts and corporate restructuring, corporate finance (including public and private securities and other capital markets transactions), corporate governance and other general corporate matters. Over Bart’s career, he has significant experience in the airline, maritime, railroad, trucking, hospitality, manufacturing, industrials, technology, oil and gas, finance, insurance, real estate, communications and pharmaceutical industries. This experience has led to Bart being named a go-to lawyer by one of his Fortune 100 clients.
Bart devotes a significant part of his practice to clients in the airline and aviation industry, including advising major international airlines and regional airlines on commercial transactions for all functions of the airline business: supply chain, human resources, hospitality, travel, affinity programs, regional operations (insourced and outsourced), fuel, fleet, regulatory, flight-related security, technology (hardware procurement, content and software licensing, data security and privacy), and other business-process outsourcing transactions as well as general corporate restructuring matters. Bart’s turnaround and workout experience includes the designing, implementing and executing on the assumption, rejection and renegotiation of all the agreements for one of the largest and most successful Chapter 11 bankruptcies in U.S. history.
He has worked closely both with business units and in-house counsel of Fortune 500 companies, and has acted as outside general counsel for both public and private companies and worked with private equity and hedge funds.
His international experience routinely spans the globe and includes representations involving Europe, South America, Asia and Africa.
Commercial Transactions and Outsourcing
- Purchase agreements for procurement of connectivity hardware and related services
- Purchase agreements for aircraft interiors equipment and related services
- Purchase agreements for procurement of in-flight entertainment content and related services
- Purchase agreements for engineering integration services in connection with interior reconfiguration of aircraft
- Purchase agreements for procurement of airport security equipment and related agreements with government and regulatory agencies
- Transactions valuing in excess of $1 billion for the procurement of aircraft interiors equipment and services for a wide range of narrow-body and wide-body fleet mainline and regional types
- Transactions relating to the establishment of marketing partnerships with leading companies across a wide range of other industries, design and development of travel booking tools with some of the world’s largest online travel agents, redemption of customer loyalty program awards for travel-related goods and services
- Transactions related to the procurement, marketing and sale of travel products in connection with packaged vacation offerings and the related customer service
- Transactions related to call centers and payment mechanics
- Purchases and leases with numerous Fortune 250 and Fortune Global 500 companies of a wide range of aircraft equipment and maintenance services, including fleet hour agreements, line and heavy maintenance services agreements (including for E145, E175 and CRJ700 aircraft as well as engines, landing gear, brakes and APUs), engine lease agreements and equipment purchase agreements (including for engines, flight management systems and other equipment).
- Transactions with several industry-leading providers involving the purchase of in-flight connectivity and seatback and wireless entertainment services, equipment and maintenance
- Aircraft sales agreements covering over 200 wide-body and narrow-body mainline and regional aircraft, airframes, propellers and engines, including transactions related to cargo conversion of aircraft
- Purchases of new and legacy narrow-body and wide-body mainline aircraft
- Master services agreements for the outsourcing of various business processes, including
- Human resources functions, including benefits and claims administration
- Consulting services
- Personnel management, including recruiting, hiring and employee development
- Aircraft maintenance and modification support services
- Cargo ground-handling services agreements
- Facilities management
Workouts and Reorganizations
- Reorganization of one of the largest U.S. commercial airlines during Chapter 11 bankruptcy, including leading the assumption or rejection of over 50,000 contracts and arrangements, resulting in creditors receiving over 100% return on pre-petition debt and creating the world’s largest airline through the merger with a major competitor
- Equipment-based lending and leasing transactions
- Representation of U.S. and foreign companies in cross-border transactions
- Acquisitions and dispositions of both assets and stock of privately and publicly-held companies
- Securities Exchange Act of 1934 reporting disclosures and conducting stockholder meeting
- NYSE, NASDAQ and AMEX compliance and corporate governance matters
- Public and private equity offerings, asset-based securities offerings, convertible securities offerings, universal shelf offerings and rights offerings
- Public and private debt offerings (senior and mezzanine), tender offers for public debt, redemptions of public debt
- Acquisitions of industrial companies
- Divestitures of industrial and technology companies
- Divestitures of airlines