Chris Brown is a member of Winstead's Commercial Litigation and Energy & Environmental Law Practice Groups.
Chris maintains a diverse practice comprised of multi-state litigation and appellate matters, including class action and individual oil & gas litigation in Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Ohio, oil & gas securities fraud, financial services litigation, government contracts, and commercial cases relating to breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, asset conversion, and minority shareholder oppression.
Chris advises energy industry clients on best practices and compliance issues relative to revenue and royalty accounting.
Chris has also presented CLE topics on ethics and oil & gas issues relating to class actions, the marketable condition rule, royalty accounting, lease termination, joint operating agreements, and subsurface ownership and trespass.
- Representation of clients through all phases of federal and state court litigation including receiverships, injunctive relief, garnishments, pre-trial dispositions, trial, post-judgment enforcement, and appeals
- Defense of oil and gas producers in class action, individual, and governmental breach of lease, royalty underpayment, and lease termination claims
- Assisted in the successful defense of oil & gas operator against class action royalty underpayment claims in Kansas
- Representation of oil & gas operator in leasing, unconstitutional taking, and regulatory dispute with municipality
- Representation of oil & gas operators in operating and marketing disputes
- Representation of oilfield services provider in investigation and response to regulatory inquiry and subpoena
- Representation of operating and non-operating working interest owners in joint operating agreement disputes
- Representation of insureds against real property title defect claims
- Representation of a multi-million dollar capital fund in the recovery of converted aircraft assets
- Representation of commercial lenders in collection matters, receiverships, and other asset location and protection cases
- Representation of various clients in adversary actions brought in bankruptcy courts
- Assisted in the successful representation of a creditor in securing the dismissal of a $180 million bankruptcy case filed in bad-faith