Jeff Tinker is a shareholder in Winstead's Intellectual Property Practice Group. His practice focuses on patent, copyright, and trademark law. He has experience in patent application preparation and prosecution in the mechanical and electrical technologies. In addition, Jeff has extensive experience negotiating intellectual property licenses and has represented plaintiffs and defendants in a variety of disputes involving intellectual property rights.
In addition to patent prosecution, Jeff regularly performs due diligence studies of intellectual property assets, including analyzing patent portfolios and preparing opinions regarding patent infringement and validity. His practice also involves counseling clients and negotiating a wide array of agreements, including software license, technology services agreements, and patent, copyright, trademark and other intellectual-property infringement settlements. He also advises clients in a wide range of compliance-related issues, including export controls, FDA and State medical device regulations, privacy policies, DMCA safe-harbor provisions, and open-source software licenses.
Prior to joining Winstead, Jeff was a patent agent at a Dallas law firm. He also served as a research assistant for the USDA's Agricultural Research Services.
Co-author of the WinTech blog, which provides legal insight for start-up and established technology businesses.
- Appointed Special Assistant Attorney General for the State of Michigan (2015-2017) to represent Michigan in a multimillion dollar breach of contract lawsuit the State filed against a software vendor
- U.S. and foreign patent preparation, prosecution and licensing, including:
- Wireless Communication
- Computer Systems and Networks, including computer components, integrated circuits, and chip packaging
- Medical Devices and Treatments
- Requests for reexamination
- Trademark procurement
- Contract drafting and negotiation on behalf of individual inventors, hardware manufacturers, software developers and health-care services providers
- Assisting clients in open source software license compliance, including assisting with binary level code scans
- Software licensing
- Patent, trademark, and trade secret litigation