Jim Strawn is a member of Winstead's Energy Law Practice Group. His 35 year career has been focused on oil and gas matters with extensive experience in all facets of the exploration and production business, and the legal issues, agreements, claims and litigation associated with those matters.
During his career, Jim has handled many large and small complex mergers and acquisitions as well as the largest private land sale and onshore oil and gas joint development program in modern U.S. history.
Purchase and Sale Agreements
- Expert witness, published writer and speaker on this subject.
- Negotiated and drafted many PSAs covering properties in the Gulf of Mexico, Alaska, in 22 of the lower 48 states, as well as South America and Asia.
- Advised oil and gas clients through the process of many multi-billion dollar acquisitions and mergers.
Joint Development, Joint Venture and Operating Agreements
- Negotiated and drafted many joint development agreements and joint venture agreements for major oil companies.
Oil and Gas Leases and Surface Use Agreements
- Negotiated and drafted many complex oil and gas leases and surface use agreements.
- Writer and speaker on this subject.
Marketing and Midstream Agreements
- Served as in-house M&A counsel for one of the largest independent E&P companies in North America.
Master Service Agreements
- Negotiated from both operator and contractor side.
- Designed and managed MSA program for $40 billion E&P company.
- Served as in-house counsel for two drilling companies.
- Published writer and speaker on this subject.
- Served as an oil and gas administrative law judge and has practiced before the OCC and TRRC.