Michael Smith is a member of Winstead's Healthcare Industry Group and focuses his practice on corporate, legislative, regulatory and policy matters related to the healthcare industry.
Michael has particular knowledge regarding federal and state healthcare laws and regulations concerning privacy and security (HIPAA), fraud and abuse (Anti-Kickback Statute and Stark Law), Medicare, Medicaid, provider reimbursement, and healthcare facility licensure and change of ownership.
He has served as Assistant General Counsel for the Texas Medical Association where he worked on legislative and regulatory matters related to Medicare, Medicaid, Texas Health and Human Services Commission, Texas Medical Board, and public health issues.
- Organization and operation of physician practices and other healthcare ventures
- Drafting and negotiating of corporate contracts, including general employment, physician recruitment, independent contractor, management, and lease agreements
- Assisting with business transactions, including mergers, asset sales, and transfers of ownership interests
- Assisting with licensing matters for healthcare facilities, including hospitals, ambulatory centers, assisted living facilities, skilled nursing facilities and chemical dependency treatment centers
- Conducting research and providing counsel concerning various state and federal healthcare regulatory and legislative matters
Michael is a contributing writer for Winstead’s Destination Health Law blog.