"You Can't Handle the Truth!" - Appellate Courts' Authority To Dispose of Cases Without Written Opinions, The Appellate Advocate, Vol. 22, No. 4 (Summer 2010)


Federal Courts of Appeals can affirm or reverse a district's court order or judgment without a written opinion. Federal Rule of Appellate Procedure 36 provides that a clerk must enter a judgment "after receiving the court's opinion" or "if a judgment is rendered without an opinion, as the court instructs." To read more, click on "Download PDF."

Media Contact

Michael Webb
Public Relations Manager

Media Kit

Search Tips:

You may use the wildcard symbol (*) as a root expander.  A search for "anti*" will find not only "anti", but also "anti-trust", "antique", etc.

Entering two terms together in a search field will behave as though an "OR" is being used.  For example, entering "Antique Motorcars" as a Client Name search will find results with either word in the Client Name.


AND and OR may be used in a search.  Note: they must be capitalized, e.g., "Project AND Finance." 

The + and - sign operators may be used.  The + sign indicates that the term immediately following is required, while the - sign indicates to omit results that contain that term. E.g., "+real -estate" says results must have "real" but not "estate".

To perform an exact phrase search, surround your search phrase with quotation marks.  For example, "Project Finance".

Searches are not case sensitive.

back to top