David Dawson focuses his practice on working with investors, developers, underwriters, local, state and federal governments, universities, hotels, airports and transit organizations helping them bring innovative public private partnership projects to life.
From his work on the redevelopment of new airport terminals in Dallas and Houston, to the underwriting and construction of a $2 billion convention center and hotel project in Austin, to advising the developer of a $1.4 billion toll road and the funding of taxable revenue bonds for nationwide military housing privatization projects, David has earned the trust of his clients by listening and understanding their business objectives at the outset of every project.
With more than 25-years of experience, David understands the challenges that arise when navigating the complex, multi-government world of public, private partnerships. He leverages his deep industry knowledge and relationships, in combination with the resources of Winstead, to craft clear, digestible strategies that enable his clients to succeed and fully monetize their investments.
David utilizes Winstead’s nimble model to reduce client conflicts and develop practical fee arrangements that allow him to become an even stronger partner with his clients.
David brought this same strategic insight and leadership while serving as Chairman & CEO of Winstead.
David and his wife live in Austin, Texas and are parents to 3 children. He is an avid long-distance cyclist.
David is a contributing writer for Winstead’s Airlines Blog.
- Underwriter, developer and corporation counsel for more than $2 billion in convention center hotel projects nationwide including the 800-room Austin, Texas, convention center hotel project
- Counsel to a large state university in connection with a ground leased development of a 230-room hotel, conference center, 1400 space parking garage, and student services building
- Counsel to a major airline for a $600 million public-private airport redevelopment
- Counsel to a major airline in connection with a $500 million 225,000 square foot airport facility lease
- Initial purchaser and bondholder counsel for more than $3 billion in 144A taxable revenue bonds for military housing privatization projects nationwide for the United States Air Force, Army and Navy
- Developer's counsel for the 700-acre airport redevelopment project and related tax increment reinvestment zone
- Counsel to private developer for the $1.3 billion toll road privatization project
- Borrower's counsel and investor's counsel on numerous private and charter school facilities financings
- Underwriter's counsel on a $174 million build-to-suit facility for the United States National Cancer Institute at Johns Hopkins University, Montgomery County, Maryland involving a ground lease from the GSA
- Underwriter's counsel on a $407 million build-to-suit facility for the United States Department of Health and Human Services in Rockville, Maryland involving a ground lease from the GSA
- Investor's counsel on $95 million military base redevelopment project in San Antonio, Texas
- Investor's counsel on $86 million 188-bed senior living facility in Staten Island, New York