Ehren Hartz is chair of Winstead’s Corporate, Commercial Transactions & Outsourcing Practice Group. Ehren counsels both public and private companies in a variety of industries on all types of commercial transaction and outsourcing matters. Ehren has extensive experience advising clients in the supply chain management, commercial air travel, aviation, transportation and hospitality industries.
Ehren is also a member of Winstead’s Data Privacy Practice Group where he advises clients on issues of data privacy, including jurisdiction- specific compliance, risk mitigation, and cross-border data transfers, with a recent focus on assisting his clients in the design and implementation of internal controls and processes to ensure compliance with the European Union’s recently-enacted General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). In addition, Ehren has considerable experience negotiating data privacy and processing provisions within contracts pertaining to travel & hospitality services, commercial air travel and related services, customer-loyalty programs, transportation services, and human resources and other back-office business processes.
Ehren devotes a significant part of his practice to his clients in the commercial air travel and the airlines industry, where he advises companies ranging from international airlines to aircraft maintenance service providers on commercial transactions with respect to a variety of business processes. His experience includes the negotiation of agreements pertaining to aircraft purchases and dispositions, aircraft and engine maintenance and overhaul, engine and parts purchase, lease, consignment and sale, airframe dismantle and disposal, and aircraft interiors procurement, where he has represented clients on both the buy-side and the sell-side. Ehren also has considerable experience negotiating contracts on behalf of his airline clients pertaining to premium passenger sales and distribution services, customer-loyalty programs, car rental and lodging accommodations systems and partnerships, and regional capacity outsourcing.
Ehren has served, and continues to serve, as outside general counsel for multiple companies and routinely manages both day-to-day legal matters and company-wide projects and initiatives for these companies. His international experience includes Mexico, Canada, Japan, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Italy, France, Germany and numerous Caribbean islands.
Commercial Transactions & Outsourcing
- Representation of mainline carriers in connection with the negotiation of regional capacity purchase and code share agreements valuing in excess of $6 billion
- Representation of leading international airlines in transactions pertaining to the procurement of aircraft interiors equipment and integration services for a wide range of narrow-body and wide-body aircraft with an aggregate value of all such transactions in excess of $1 billion
- Representation of numerous clients, including leading international and domestic airlines, in the acquisition and disposition of over 100 airframes and engines with a total value in excess of $30,000,000
- Representation of major U.S. based airline in the disposition of Saab and ATR 72 parts and tooling, with an approximate value of $20,000,000
- Representation of major U.S. based and international airlines in purchases and leases with numerous Fortune 250 and Fortune Global 500 Companies of a wide range of aircraft equipment and maintenance services, including fleet hour agreements, line and heavy maintenance services agreements (including for E145, E175 and CRJ700 aircraft as well as engines, landing gear, brakes and APUs), engine lease agreements and equipment purchase agreements (including for engines, flight management systems and other equipment)
- Representation of leading international airline in procurement of security screening equipment, including innovation security screening lanes, CT and X-ray scanning equipment, explosives- detection equipment and automated biometric document scanners, for use at domestic and international airports and, in certain transactions, negotiation of the transfer of such equipment to the Transportation and Security Administration
- Representation of international airlines and major U.S. based companies in connection with transactions pertaining to the purchase and sale of fuel and fuel-related services, including transportation and pipeline services, terminaling services and into-plane fueling
- Representation of aircraft dismantling service providers and parts resellers in the negotiation of airframe dismantling services agreements and parts consignments arrangements
- Representation of leading international airline in transactions relating to the redemption of customer loyalty program awards for travel-related goods and services
- Representation of Fortune 100 Company in transactions relating to the establishment of marketing partnerships with leading companies across a wide range of industries
- Representation of leading international airline in negotiation of agreements with other airlines and third party lounge providers for approximately 90 clubs and partner lounges in both domestic and international locations
- Representation of major U.S. based airline in agreements for the outsourcing of various human resources functions, including benefits and claims administration, consulting services, personnel management (including recruiting, hiring and employee development) and training facilities management
- Representation of domestic and international airlines in agreements related to the development of a number of programs to increase the supply of pilots, including programs with numerous colleges, universities and flight schools, financial institutions and the U.S. military
- Representation of mainline and regional airlines in the transactions related to procurement of airport services, above and below the wing ground handling, dining, catering, onboard food, beverage and associated product procurement, and general corporate procurement
- Representation of leading international airline in GDPR contractual compliance matters, including required contractual amendments; representation included discovery and analysis of all such contracts, preparation of amendments and data processing agreements, and negotiation of the same
- Representation of leading international airline in negotiation of data privacy and data contractual terms, and preparation and review of applicable privacy policies, in transaction regarding procurement of lodging accommodation platform with world’s largest on-line travel agent and accommodations provider
- Representation of Fortune 100 Company in negotiation of data privacy and processing contractual terms in transaction involving establishment of private student loan program with leading direct banking and payment services company
- Representation of Fortune 100 Company in negotiation of data privacy and processing contractual terms in transaction pertaining to procurement of information technology staffing services with leading managed services and recruitment process outsourcing provider
- Representation of leading international airline with respect to issues related to jurisdiction-specific data privacy compliance, cross-border data transfers, and contractual provisions pertaining to data privacy and processing in negotiations with other international airlines and service providers related to the procurement of premium passenger services
Reorganizations, Integrations and Special Projects
- Reorganization of one of the largest U.S. commercial airlines during Chapter 11 bankruptcy, including leading the assumption or rejection of over 50,000 contracts and arrangements, resulting in creditors receiving over 100% return on pre-petition debt and creating the world’s largest airline through the merger with a major competitor
- Representation of one of the largest U.S. commercial airlines in integration efforts following merger with major competitor, including diligence regarding existing contracts, termination or consolidation of duplicative contracts, negotiation of amendments and new agreements pertaining to expanded services, and preparation of and revisions to new and existing template agreements
- Representation of major U.S. based airline in name change; representation included oversight of legal matters, as well as operational and commercial tasks required to successfully complete the name change
- Representation of international E&P conglomerate in major restructuring; representation included preparation and execution of multi-phase plan of restructuring effecting subsidiaries in more than ten jurisdictions, including the United States, Caribbean islands and the Middle East
Ehren is a contributing writer for Winstead’s Airlines Blog.