David Staas' practice includes representing real estate developers, owners and tenants in the acquisition, development, leasing, financing and sale of shopping centers, office buildings, hotels, multi-family residential properties, residential subdivisions, mixed-use developments, public facilities, and sports and entertainment venues. Additionally, his practice includes representing real estate developers, businesses and municipalities in zoning, platting, restrictive covenant, economic development, special district, urban design, sign regulation and other local government matters. His sports and entertainment practice includes representing teams, owners and local organizing committees in the development, management and marketing of venues and the bidding, hosting and financing of major events.
Unique Lawyer Experience
- David helped lead Winstead's team in bidding for and hosting Super Bowl XLV (2011) & Super Bowl LI (2017).
- Prior to his legal career, David served as the Director of Planning & Development for the Uptown Houston District and a Senior Economic Development Specialist for the City of San Antonio.
- Acquisitions and Dispositions
- Economic Development
- Land Development Services
- Land Use Entitlements
- Sports Business and Public Venues
- Assisted Southwest Airlines Co. in negotiating agreements with the Houston Airport System for development of a new international concourse at William P. Hobby Airport
- Assisted a variety of major airport clients with concessions and facilities agreements
- Negotiated venue agreements for Canadian Football League Team
- Negotiated naming rights agreement for performing arts venue
- Obtained entitlements and worked on public law issues related to development of NFL stadium
- Worked on development of multiple regional outlet malls, including land acquisition, economic development incentives, entitlements, and construction matters
- Assisted clients with renovations and expansions of regional malls
- Represented clients on acquisition, dispositions and financing of multifamily properties
- Represented life insurance company on financing four-star, full-star hotel properties
- Represented convention and visitors bureaus in corporate, financing and public law issues
- Represented lender on financing of Class A office buildings
- Represented owners of 1 million+ square feet Class A buildings in office leasing