David Staas's real estate practice includes development, leasing, financing, acquisition, and sale of hotels, office buildings, multi-family residential properties, shopping centers, mixed-use developments, airports, convention centers, and sports and entertainment venues. His public law practice includes public-private partnerships, economic development, public information, entitlements, grants, and other local government matters.
His practice focuses on the travel, convention, and visitor industry. This includes developing, leasing, operating, managing, and marketing of convention, sports, and entertainment venues and airport facilities. See Aviation Industry Profile and Sports Industry Profile for additional details.
He has earned a reputation for professionalism, thought leadership, and a 'get-to-yes' attitude. He is actively involved with several organizations, including as a member of the Urban Land Institute's national Travel Experience and Trends Council.
David is a contributing writer for Winstead’s Airlines Blog.
- Acquisitions and Dispositions
- Operations and Management
- Economic Development
Public Venues: Airport, Convention, Sports, and Entertainment Facilities
- Negotiated venue agreements for professional sports stadiums and university arenas
- Negotiated naming rights agreement for performing arts venue
- Assisted airline in negotiating agreements for development of terminal facilities
- Assisted clients in a variety of concessions and facilities agreements
- Represented developers of outlet malls, including land acquisition, economic development incentives, entitlements, and construction matters
- Negotiated agreements for renovations and expansions of regional malls
- Represented owners in acquisitions, dispositions and financing of multifamily properties
- Represented life insurance company on financing full service hotel properties
- Represented destination marketing organizations
- Prepared and worked on fulfillment of major convention and sporting event bids
- Represented owners of 1 million+ square feet Class A buildings in office leasing
- Represented lender on financing of Class A office buildings