David Staas' real estate practice includes development, leasing, financing, acquisition, and sale of mixed-use developments, shopping centers, office buildings, hotels, multi-family residential properties, airports, convention centers, and sports and entertainment venues. His public law practice includes public-private partnerships, entitlements, economic development, public information, open meetings, grants administration, local government corporations, and other local government matters. He has significant focus on the convention and visitor industry. He has served as counsel to various destination marketing organizations, local organizing committees, other non-profit corporations, venues, and sports teams; and has earned a reputation for professionalism and a 'get-to-yes' attitude. He serves in leadership positions with several professional organizations, including as a member of the Urban Land Institute's national Travel Experience and Trends product council.
Unique Lawyer Experience
- David helped lead Winstead's team in bidding for and hosting Super Bowl XLV (2011) & Super Bowl LI (2017).
- Prior to his legal career, David served as the Director of Planning & Development for the Uptown Houston District and a Senior Economic Development Specialist for the City of San Antonio.
- Acquisitions and Dispositions
- Economic Development
- Land Development Services
- Land Use Entitlements
- Public Law
- Sports Business and Public Venues
- Assisted Southwest Airlines Co. in negotiating agreements with the Houston Airport System for development of a new international concourse at William P. Hobby Airport
- Assisted a variety of major airport clients with concessions and facilities agreements
- Negotiated venue agreements for Canadian Football League Team and Canadian Premier League (Soccer) Team
- Negotiated naming rights agreement for performing arts venue
- Obtained entitlements and worked on public law issues related to development of NFL stadium
- Worked on development of multiple regional outlet malls, including land acquisition, economic development incentives, entitlements, and construction matters
- Assisted clients with renovations and expansions of regional malls
- Represented clients on acquisition, dispositions and financing of multifamily properties
- Represented life insurance company on financing four-star, full-star hotel properties
- Represented convention and visitors bureaus in corporate, financing and public law issues
- Prepared and worked on fulfillment of major convention and sporting event bids
- Represented lender on financing of Class A office buildings
- Represented owners of 1 million+ square feet Class A buildings in office leasing